Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Absence

Looks like I'm following my usual pattern of starting up a blog only to abandon it after a few posts. It's high time I rectified that mistake. 

In the last couple of months I've acquired a few LPs, albiet of new releases and reissues only. Crate digging has taken a back seat to summer fun and a general lack of interest and drive for discovering old vinyl. Of the new LPs that I purchased from Amazon (thanks to some healthy gift certificates from Westin), the one that bears discussion here is the reissue of Disintegration by The Cure. 

The original CD pressing had a an almost submerged quality to the sound, reinforcing the theme of dissolution and reemergence from a sea of despair, an aesthetic that is somewhat reflected in the artwork as well. Serendipitous though it may be, even for the non-audiophile casual listener, the sound was muddled and fighting to break free of its sonic challenges.

For the reissue, Robert Smith has largely cleaned up the album and it now sounds a hell of a lot crisper and sharper than before. Some reviews suggested that there hadn't been a marked improvement to the sound quality, but as far as I can tell, my ears are quite happy to have traded up to the reissue. 

The album itself is, of course, amazing. There are enough words dedicated to its greatness out on the interwebs to make any additional glorification redundant. 

With summer winding down I am tempted to go back to my weekly crate digging and will hopefully share some interesting finds on this blog on a more regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment